Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Danned for Life: Same Blog, New Name

New name, new logo
So, I changed my blog's name over the weekend. 

I know what you're all thinking. He's crazy. This is a huge gamble. Speak of the Daniel is already an established brand with dozens of followers and a proud record of hard-won critical acclaim (thanks, Mom). So why is he messing with perfection?

Be that as it may, the change was long overdue. You see, I've never been super psyched about the old name. It's clever enough, I guess. It does what a personal blog name is supposed to do, using a punny play on the blogger's name to set the tone and convey some sense of the blog's theme. But the problem is that, while it is my given Christian name, I never go by Daniel. I've always been Dan (and occasionally Danny), and so a play on the name Daniel always felt like the topical simile I was trying to end this sentence with unnatural and forced. That's really all there is to it.

I've been kickin' around the name Danned for Life for quite a while now. I was hesitant to make the change at first, fearing that it, too, would quickly lose its pleasing ring and I would soon come to regret the new name. But I've decided that it has worn well over time. It does everything the old name does, but with a more natural-sounding play on the name Dan. As my sister-in-law observed, it's "just as funny, fewer syllables, so it works." 

And so it's time, as MJ would say, to make that change. I understand if you'll need some time to adjust emotionally, and I apologize for the hassle of having to update the bookmark tabs on all of your devices (dannedforlife.blogspot.com). But I promise the new name will grow on you, and you'll soon be wondering how you ever got by in this crazy blog world before you got yourself DANNED FOR LIFE.

No comments:

Post a Comment