Monday, August 13, 2012

Left Handers Day: How Did I Not Know About This?

Apparently, today is Left Handers Day. I had no idea.

I was beginning to wonder why so many posts like this were showing up in my Facebook feed today (thanks, Mary!). I guess that explains it. This has supposedly been going on for twenty-three years, so again, as a proud, lifelong lefty, WHY A
M I JUST LEARNING ABOUT THIS NOW?

Anyway, in honor of this special day, please enjoy these fun facts I've put together about lefties:

  • Lefties make up only about 13% of the population, but they account for 50% of the last fourteen U.S. presidents. (Half of The Beatles, too!)
  • Lefties are twice as likely to qualify for membership in Mensa. (Should come as no surprise to anyone who spends time with me.)
  • Lefties are three times more prone to alcoholism than righties. (I'm also Irish, so basically, I'm screwed.)
  • "Stewardesses," "reverberated," and "desegregated" are the longest English words that can be typed using only the left-hand side of a standard keyboard. (You're now looking down at your keyboard and testing this for yourself. Admit it.)
  • Each year, many millions of left-handed Americans are killed, maimed, or humiliated while operating everyday gadgets designed for right-handed use. (Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration there, but seriously, research shows that we lefties are far more accident prone and have significantly shorter lifespans than our righty counterparts. Crap.)
  • Jack the Ripper was a lefty, which kinda makes sense when you consider that the Latin word for left is "sinister." (But how, then, do we explain Dexter?)
  • Bart Simpson (along with many other Springfieldianites) is a lefty, and has been consistently animated as such for the over twenty years. (A tribute to Matt Groening's own left-handedness.)
  • I am the lone lefty among my parents' thirteen children. (Yes, I'm a freak.)
  • Lefties are empirically awesome. (This is fact. Don't question it. I've done some studies.)

Okay, that's all I've got. I do hope that everyone was able to enjoy post, and that you righties out there didn't feel too left out.

A Happy Left Handers Day to you all!


An old birthday gift from my Great-Aunt Marie. Bless her soon-to-be-100-year-old heart.

2 comments:

  1. Who is left handed and had NO idea this day was a thing. THIS GAL. Seriously, all these years I missed out flaunting my left-handedness? Oh wait, I do that anyway. Happy Lefty Day. Let's take it in for a left-handed high-five.

    ReplyDelete