Monday, July 11, 2011

Farewell to a Friend


Yesterday my friends and I said our final goodbyes to a former colleague and dear friend, Bryan Hutton.

From The Herald (Everett, Wa):

Bryan P. Hutton, 27 years old, born June 29, 1983 in Seattle, WA died June 25, 2011 in Seattle, WA. Bryan was raised in Mill Creek, WA graduating from Jackson High School. He then graduated from the U of W with a Bachelor's of Arts degree and was hired on at Microsoft in 2005. He started out as a paralegal and moved up the ranks quickly. He just recently was promoted to E Discovery program manager. He brought a wonderful and positive attitude to work.

Bryan was in a good place in his life, he had varied interests, was involved in his community, loved family get togethers and spending time with friends. He had a great love for travel and had the opportunity to travel many places these last few years with close friends. One of his most memorable was to Australia. Bryan was a unique individual with a wonderful sense of humor and a keen intellectual curiosity. He was well liked by everyone that crossed his path; he gave us so much happiness.

We are very proud of Bryan and how he lived his life. He will be missed so much.

Bryan was every bit the unique individual with a great sense of humor and keen intellect described here. Saying he was well liked by all perfectly describes the way I knew and remember the guy.

He and I became friends soon after we both started working at Washington Mutual Bank in 2005. I remember that Bryan, always funny and sociable, immediately hit it off with everyone in the branch, including our hundreds of daily customers. It wasn’t long before Bryan and the rest of our crew evolved into a tight-knit group that despite our busy lives, diverging career paths, vast geographical separation, and increasingly occasional get-togethers, would always consider each other dear and lifelong friends.

I knew Bryan as a charming, genuine, and seriously smart guy who was as fun-loving as he was easygoing. He could always be counted in for our many after-work Happy Hours and WaMu-gang reunions; a Portland road trip here, a Las Vegas wedding there; even the odd surprise birthday dinner thrown together at the last minute. His lively and sweet-natured presence always enhanced these gatherings, and forever enriched our lives.

Bryan left us far too soon, and I sincerely regret not getting to know him even better than I did. But I know that he was loved, and I know he will be missed. And I only hope that this small tribute is worthy, and my brief reflections do him justice.

I know I speak for all of our friends when I say farewell to you, Bryan. You will always be remembered fondly; never far from our thoughts, and living on in our hearts.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful tribute, Dan. I was not as close with Bryan, but also feel that he described perfectly as well-liked by everyone. Bryan's positive attitude was infectious. He always seemed happy and warm-hearted. We definitely lost him far too soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful Dan. Bryan was amazing. I loved his laugh. I think my favourite memories were probably at the Noc Noc. Happy hours should always run 5 hours long. LOL. Being a teller sucked unless I was posted between Hutton and Monica. Good times, great memories. All around a fantastic guy. He will be missed but never forgotten.

    ReplyDelete